Did you know that as someone who is employed, you have certain rights in the workplace? Many employees think that the law primarily protects the employer, but this isn’t always the case. In fact, one thing that your employment law attorney in Los Angeles can tell you is that most employees are not aware of the many legally-protected rights they do have. Here are some rights to be aware of.
Basic Employee Rights
There are certain basic rights that all employees have including:
- The right to fair compensation. This is what requires that employers pay at least the federally- or state-mandated minimum wage.
- The right to privacy.
- The right to not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, or religion.
These rights are afforded to all employees, as well as potential employees. If you apply to a company, your right to privacy regarding your marital status, for example, is protected by law.
Other Employee Rights
There are more complex employee rights that you also have. Those include:
- The right to not be harassed in the workplace. This includes things like sexual harassment.
- The right to a safe working environment. This means that you have the right to demand that you not work around unsafe toxic substances without the proper protective gear, for example.
- The right to file complaints without being retaliated against. This means that if you file a sexual harassment claim, you cannot be fired for filing that claim.
In many cases, these rights are violated by underhanded tactics, such as making the workplace unfriendly towards those who filed complaints until they quit. This is where having a good employee law attorney in Los Angeles is vital because they can help you discover if your rights have been violated even in underhanded ways. You also have certain rights to the number of hours you can be required to work, your breaks, how you are paid for overtime, and more.
What Protects These Rights?
These rights are protected by a wide range of laws, both on the federal and state level. If you believe that your rights have been violated, contact us at The Law Offices of Jual F. Reyes. You can seek the services of an employment law attorney in Los Angeles if you have been discriminated against for anything from your gender to disability to your religion, your age, and more. Contact us toll-free at (877) 242-4410, to learn more.