There’s nothing funny about a slip and fall accident. Every year, more people go to emergency rooms because of falls than for any other reason, accounting for more than eight million emergency room visits. Slip and falls represent about 12% of the total, or about one million people rushed to the emergency room. Slip and fall attorneys in Southern Maryland see the catastrophic effect that a not-so-simple fall can have on someone for the rest of their life.
Older People Are More at Risk of Falling
* About one person in twenty suffers a fracture after a fall, and hip fractures are very serious injuries, particularly for the elderly.
* Falls are the second leading cause of injuries to the brain and spinal cord.
* Falls are responsible for 40% of the admissions to nursing homes, and half of those people are never able to live independently again.
Falls in the Workplace
* Slip and fall accidents are the primary reason that workers file for workers’ compensation and days lost from work.
* Slick floors are the cause of 85% of those workers’ compensation claims.
* Workers over age 55 are hurt more often from a fall than younger workers.
* Construction areas are inherently dangerous, especially if poor workplace practices are allowed.
The Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
* Slippery floors and flooring materials along with ripped carpeting are the direct causes of over two million injuries per year.
* About 60% of falls are not caused by falling from a higher level, but happen when someone is walking. They might slip because of a wet spot, an uneven area in a parking lot, or an object left in a walkway.
* Loose handrails and poor lighting cause people to trip and fall down stairs.
The Costs of Slip and Fall Accidents
* A slip and fall accident costs, on average, $22,800.
* Disabling injuries in the workplace are much more expensive, between $250,000 and $300,000 a year.
* The total cost of ongoing treatment for injuries caused by falls amounts to $30 billion per year in the U.S. according to the Centers for Disease Control.
As you can see, there is nothing trivial about falling. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by another’s negligence, contact the Law Offices of Danny R. Seidman. These experienced slip and fall attorneys in Southern Maryland are dedicated to fighting for the compensation you deserve. Visit Dseidmanlaw.com to request a free consultation.