Because almost half of all marriages end in divorce, millions of people deal with the end of their marriage each year. One of the most difficult parts of the process is seeking the first meeting with the divorce lawyers in Tacoma, WA. With this information, individuals will know what to expect and how to be prepared for their meeting.
Being Prepared Is Important
When a person is planning their meeting with the divorce lawyers in Tacoma, WA, they need to make sure they take notes regarding their marriage and important details. It is also wise for a person to make a list of questions they would like to ask so they can remember them. Due to nervousness, individuals will sometimes forget things they wanted to talk about or ask.
It is also important a person is prepared to answer questions from their lawyer. Individuals must give factual information, otherwise, it will only hurt their case and make it more difficult for their lawyer to help them.
Divorce Laws Are Different in Every State
The state of Washington has its own special rules when it comes to divorce. All of the following must be true for a person to be able to legally end their marriage:
- The marriage must be a legal one since the state of Washington does not recognize common law marriages.
- One of the parties in the marriage must be a citizen of the state of Washington or plan to live there for at least 90 days after the divorce petition has been filed.
- At least one of the parties in the marriage must believe the marriage is over and cannot be saved.
- The divorce petition and summons must be filed properly.
- A person will have to wait at least 90 days after their petition and summons have been filed.
If you are facing the end of your marriage, it is imperative you are prepared to meet with a lawyer so your rights can be protected through the process. For further information on how a lawyer can help you, visit Candoolaw.com. Call today to get started right away.